Networks and Profiles
University of Colorado Boulder
Associate Professor of German Studies and Jewish Studies
Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures and Program in Jewish Studies, 2014 – present
Assistant Professor of German Studies, 2007-2014
- Director of Graduate Studies, Jewish Studies, Fall 2017 – present
- Undergraduate Associate Chair/German Program Head, GSLL, Fall 2016 – Summer 2018
Additional Faculty Affiliations
- Associate Faculty in Women and Gender Studies
- Affiliate Faculty in Ethnic Studies, Film Studies
University of Rochester
Visiting Assistant Professor of German, 2006-2007
University of Massachusetts Amherst
- PhD, Comparative Literature. May, 2006
- Dissertation: “Headscarves and Mini-skirts: Germanness, Islam and the Politics of Cultural Difference.”
- Graduate Certificate in Advanced Feminist Studies. May, 2006
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany. Winter 2002 – Summer 2003. (DAAD Research Fellow)
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA. Fall 1996 – Spring 1999
- MA, German: May, 1999; MA, Comparative Literature: May, 1998
Ruprecht-Karls Universität Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany. 1995 – 1996 (Fulbright/PAD grant recipient)
Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, 1990 – 1994
- BA, Spring 1994. Majors: German and English; teaching licensure in German and English: Fall 1994
Universität Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany, Winter 1993
Publications and Research
Weber, Beverly M. Violence and Gender in the “New” Europe. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles / Book Chapters
“Refugees and Islam: Representing Race, Rights, Cohabitation.” Journalism, Gender and Power. Eds. Cynthia Carter, Linda Steiner and Stuart Allan. Routledge, 2019. Forthcoming.
“Introduction: Precarity/Heimatlosigkeit.” Seminar, A Journal of Germanic Studies, vol. 54, no. 4, 2018: pp. 411 – 417. With Gabi Kathöfer.
“Politics and Solidarities in Emine Sevgi Özdamar’s Die Brücke vom Goldenen Horn.” Gegenwartsliteratur: A German Studies Yearbook, vol. 17, 2018: pp. 115-133.
“Islam and Migration.” Forum: Feminism and German Studies. The German Quarterly, vol. 91, no 2, 2018: pp. 211-213. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/gequ.12068
“Christa Wolf’s Trouble with Race.” Christa Wolf. Companions to German Culture. Eds. Sonja Klocke and Jennifer Hosek. DeGruyter, 2018, pp. 163-180. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110496000-01
“Precarious Intimacies: Narratives of Non-Arrival in a Changing Europe.” TRANSIT. A Journal of Travel, Migration, and Multiculturalism in the German-speaking World, vol. 11, no. 2, 2018. http://transit.berkeley.edu/2018/stehle-weber/ With Maria Stehle.
“The German Refugee ‘Crisis’ after Cologne: The Race of Refugee Rights.” English Language Notes, vol. 54, no. 2, Fall/Winter 2016 (published summer 2017), pp. 77-92. https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:18609/
“‘We Must Talk about Cologne’: Race, Gender, and Reconfigurations of ‘Europe.’” German Politics and Society, vol. 34, no. 4, Dec. 2016, pp. 68–86. https://doi.org/10.3167/gps.2016.340405
“Whiteness, WiG, and Talking about Race.” Women in German Yearbook: Feminist Studies in German Literature & Culture, vol. 32, no. 1, 2016, pp. 189–202. https://doi.org/10.5250/womgeryearbook.32.2016.0189
“Kübra Gümü?ay, Muslim Digital Feminism and the Politics of Visuality in Germany.” Feminist Media Studies, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016, pp. 101–116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2015.1093123
- Reprinted in: Digital Feminisms. Transnational Activism in German Protest Cultures, edited by Christina Scharff, Carrie Smith-Prei, and Maria Stehle, Routledge, 2017. https://www.routledge.com/Digital-Feminisms-Transnational-activism-in-German-protest-cultures/Scharff-Smith-Prei-Stehle/p/book/9781138223011
“Islam, Feminism, and Agency in Germany Today.” Contesting Feminisms: Gender and Islam in Asia, edited by Huma Ahmed-Ghosh, SUNY Press, 2015, pp. 251–269.
- Paperback 2016
“Precarious Intimacies: Yoko Tawada’s Europe.” Journal of the Critical Ethnic Studies Association, vol. 1, no. 2, 2015, pp. 59–80. https://doi.org/10.5749/jcritethnstud.1.2.0059
“Gender, Race, Religion, Faith? Rethinking Intersectionality in German Feminisms.” European Journal of Women’s Studies, vol. 22, no. 1, Feb. 2015, pp. 101-116. https://doi.org/10.1177/1350506814552084
“German Soccer, the 2010 World Cup, and Multicultural Belonging.” German Studies Review, vol. 36, no. 1, 2013, pp. 103–124. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/501308 With Maria Stehle.
“From Sex Shacks to Mega-Brothels: The Politics of Anti-Trafficking and the 2006 Soccer World Cup.” European Journal of Cultural Studies, Dec. 2012, pp. 171-193. With Kirsten Isgro and Maria Stehle. https://doi.org/10.1177/1367549412467175
“Hijab Martyrdom, Headscarf Debates: Rethinking Violence, Secularism, and Islam in Germany.” Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East, vol. 32, no. 1, Jan. 2012, pp. 102–115. https://doi.org/10.1215/1089201X-1545399
“Work, Sex, and Socialism: Reading Beyond Cultural Hybridity in Emine Sevgi Özdamar’s Die Brücke vom Goldenen Horn.” German Life and Letters, vol. 63, no. 1, 2010, pp. 37–53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0483.2009.01481.x
“Freedom from Violence, Freedom to Make the World: Muslim Women’s Memoirs, Gendered Violence, and Voices for Change in Germany.” Women in German Yearbook, edited by Patricia Simpson, vol. 25, University of Nebraska Press, 2009, pp. 199–222.
“Beyond the Culture Trap: Immigrant Women in Germany, Planet-Talk, and a Politics of Listening.” Women in German Yearbook: Feminist Studies in German Literature & Culture, edited by Helga Kraft and Marjorie Gelus, vol. 21, 2005, pp. 16–38.
“Cloth on Her Head, Constitution in Hand: Germany’s Headscarf Debates and the Cultural Politics of Difference.” German Politics and Society, vol. 22, no. 3, 2004, pp. 33–63.
“A Literature of Theory: Christa Wolf’s Kassandra Lectures as Feminist Anti-Poetics.” The German Quarterly, vol. 74, no. 3, Summer 2001, pp. 259–279. With Thomas. O. Beebee.
Peer Reviewed Interview
“Heimat, Sustainability, Community: A Conversation with Karina Griffith and Peggy Piesche.” Seminar, A Journal of Germanic Studies, vol. 54, no. 4, 2018: pp. 418 – 427. With Gabi Kathöfer.
Published Book Reviews
Rev. of Transnationalism in Contemporary German-Language Literature, edited by Elisabeth Hermann, Carrie Smith-Prei, and Stuart Taberner. German Studies Review, vol. 40, no. 3, 2017, pp. 707-709.
Rev. of In Permanent Crisis, by Ipek Celik. Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 41, no. 3, 2017, pp. 609-611. (Online publication June 2017).
Rev. of Turkish Berlin. Integration Policy and Urban Space, by Annika Marlen Hinze. Seminar 51.4 (2015): 416-48.
“Rethinking Islam and Masculinity in Germany.” Rev. of Stolen Honor: Stigmatizing Muslim Men in Berlin, by Katherine Pratt Ewing. H-German, H-Net Reviews. February, 2010. Web. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=29577
Rev. of Novels of Turkish German Settlement: Cosmopolite Fictions, by Tom Cheesman. Monatshefte, vol. 101, no. 1, 2009, pp. 137 – 139.
“Revealed by the Veil: Understanding France’s Headscarf Debates.” Rev. of The Politics of the Veil, by Joan Scott. H-German, H-Net Reviews. April, 2008. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=14464
Co-Editor, Feminist Scholar-Activism at the Digital Feminist Collective. With Carrie Smith and Maria Stehle.
Co-Editor, “Precarity/Heimatlosigkeit”. Forthcoming issue of Seminar, A Journal of Germanic Studies, vol. 54, no. 4, 2018. With Gabi Kathöfer.
“Empathy.” Feminist Scholar-Activism at the Digital Feminist Collective. 02 July 2018. https://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/feminism/index.php/2018/07/02/empathy/
“Citation as Feminist Practice.” Feminist Scholar-Activism at the Digital Feminist Collective. 13 January 2018. https://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/feminism/index.php/2018/01/13/the-politics-of-citation/
“Media Coverage of Marwa El-Sherbini.” Muslimah Media Watch. 27 July 2010. http://www.muslimahmediawatch.org/2010/07/27/playing-the-victim-media-coverage-of-marwa-el-sherbini/
“Islam and Women in Germany Today.” University of California Davis, October 2018. Forthcoming.
“Intersectionality, Refugees and Religion.” Winter School 2018, “Perspectives on Religion and Gender”. Department of Religious Studies in cooperation with the Gender Studies Department. University of Zurich, 2018. Lecture.
“Islamophobia, Right Populism, Refugees and ‘The East’.” Islamophobia in East and West Germany. University of Toronto. November, 2017. Workshop/Lecture.
“Human Security, Refugees and Islam.” Europe’s Muslim Crisis. European Studies Center, University of Pittsburgh. October, 2017. Workshop/Lecture.
“Refugees and Roma: The Politics of Welcome and Hospitality.” Social Justice and the Media: A German Studies Lecture Series. University of Tennessee, Knoxville. April 2017. Lecture.
English Language Notes Symposium, 2016. Lecture; Seminar co-leader.
“Muslim Women, the Hijab, and the German Public Sphere.” University of Denver, Denver, Colorado. March 2014. Lecture.
“Religious Freedom and the German Constitution.” University of Denver, Denver, Colorado. October 2013. Lecture.
“The Trouble with Faith: Rethinking Islam and Intersectionality in Europe.” Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut. October 2011. Lecture.
“The Trouble with Faith: Rethinking Islam and Intersectionality in Europe.” University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut. October 2011. Lecture.
“Headscarves: Rethinking Violence, Secularism, and Islam in Germany.” Research Seminar on Modern Germany and Central Europe. University of Tennessee Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee. November 2009. Lecture.
“Gender, Orientalism, and Islam in Contemporary Germany.” German Studies. Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota. 13 May 2009. Lecture.
“Images of Muslim Women in Contemporary Germany: Transnational Feminist Cultural Studies, Teleopoeisis, and the Difficulties of Ethical Readings.” NEH Summer Institute, German and European Studies in the United States: Changing Worlds, Shifting Narratives. Smith College, Northampton, MA. 21 July 2005. Lecture.
“When the Subaltern Speaks German: Immigrant Women and New Subjectivities.” Freedom of Cultural Expression Symposium. University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. 14 March 2005. Lecture and Panel Discussant.
“Graduate Studies, Hiring and the Job Market Feminist Ethical Practices.” Roundtable Presenter. 43rd Annual Conference. Women in German. 2018. Forthcoming.
“Speculative Feminisms: Transnational Connection and Collaboration.” 42nd Annual Conference. Women in German. With Maria Stehle, Emily Frazier-Rath, and Pinar Tuzcu. 2017. Poster presentation (multimedia).
“Compassion/Empathy/Welcome.” Feminist Scholar-Activism and the Politics of Affect. 42nd Annual Conference. German Studies Association 2017. Seminar contribution.
“Whiteness and Refugee Rights.” Rethinking Whiteness. 41st Annual Conference. German Studies Association 2017. Roundtable Presenter.
“Refugees and Roma in Germany: The Politics of Intimacy.” Conversations in the Mountains: Just Futures. Symposium. University of Colorado Boulder. February 2017.
“Whiteness & WiG.” Presentation as part of special meeting on diversity and inclusiveness. 41st Annual Conference. Women in German. Banff, Canada. October 2016.
“Alltagsrassismus – Alltagssexismus.” Joint roundtable of the Black Diaspora Studies Network and the Alltag Network. 40th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. 2016. Roundtable Presenter.
Afro-German Identity, Memory, and Culture Part I. 40th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. 2016. Session Commentary.
“Religion, Post-Secularism, and Intersectionality.” Annual Conference. National Women’s Studies Association. Milwaukee, WI. November 2015. Roundtable Presenter.
“Gender, Race, and Intimacies in Hilal Sezgin’s Mihriban pfeift auf Gott.” 40th Annual Conference. Women in German. Banff, Canada. October 2015. Poster Session.
“The Everyday of Race.” Everyday at the GSA: Alltag as Subject and Methodology. 39th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Washington, DC. October 2015. Roundtable Presenter.
“Skins: The Politics of Intimacy in Contemporary European Cinema.” 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures. Council on European Studies. Paris, France. July 2015. With Maria Stehle.
“Colonial Pasts and European Futures in Tawada’s ‘The Shadow Man’ and The Naked Eye.” Transnationalism and its Discontents: Exploring Critical Approaches to Border-space. University of Colorado Boulder. March 2015.
“Performing Faith: Popular Film Culture and the Public Sphere.” 36th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. September 2012. Conference Presentation.
“Framing Faith and Belief in Contemporary Visual Culture and Performance.” 36th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. September 2012. Panel Commentary.
“Gender, Race, Religion? Rethinking Intersectionality.” 35th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Louisville, Kentucky. September 2011. Conference Presentation.
“The Changing Role of Sexuality and Social Organization.” 35th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Louisville, Kentucky. September 2011. Panel Commentary.
“Race, Intersectionality and WiG: Difficult Conversations.” Mission, Position, Identity: WiG and Intersectionality. 35th Annual Conference. Women in German. Augusta, Michigan. October 2010. Conference Presentation. With Sara Lennox.
“Outsiders on the Inside: Interdisciplinary Approaches to the ‘Other’ in Germany.” 34th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Oakland, California. October 2010. Panel Commentary.
“Race, Authenticity, and Feridun Zaimoglu’s Leyla and Schwarze Jungfrauen.” 34th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Oakland, California. October 2010. Conference Presentation.
“Hijab Martyrdom, Headscarf Debates: Rethinking Violence, Secularism, and the ‘New Europe.’” Veiled Constellations: The Veil, Critical Theory, Politics and Contemporary Society. York University/University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. June 2010. Conference Presentation.
“The ‘Hijab-Martyr’ – Islamophobia and Public Space in Germany.” Global Studies on Gender and Sexuality. Women’s and Gender Studies. University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, Colorado. 25th February 2010. Lecture.
“Agency, Performance, and Public Space: The Politics of Race and Gender in German Media Discourses.” Research Seminar on Modern Germany and Central Europe. University of Tennessee Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee. 16 November 2009. Lecture Response.
“Violence and Constructions of Secular Europe in Contemporary Literature.” Annual Meeting. American Comparative Literature Association. Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. 27 March 2009. Conference Presentation.
“A Post-Secular Europe? Secularism, Violence, and the Figure of the German Turk.” Constructing Nation: From Modernity to the New Millennium. Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures, Symposium, University of Colorado Boulder. 13 March 2009. Conference Presentation.
“Whose Violence? ‘Post-Secular Europe’ and the Muslim Woman’s Body.” 33rd Annual Conference. Women in German. Snowbird Resort, Snowbird Utah. 24 October 2008. Conference Presentation.
“Claiming the Enlightenment: Immigrant Women and Human Rights in Germany.” Annual Conference. German Studies Association. St. Paul, Minnesota. 2008. Conference Presentation.
“Bridging the Activist-Theory Divide: Feminist & Anti-racist Organizing in Europe.” 32nd Annual Conference. Women in German. 2007. Conference Presentation. (with Maria Stehle)
“Work, Sex, and Socialism: Reading beyond Culture in the Work of Emine Sevgi Özdamar.” Creolising Europe. University of Manchester, Manchester, UK. September 2007. Conference Presentation.
“Responses to an(other) US-American Stunde Null: New York after September 11th in the Work of Sabine Scholl and Kathrin Röggla.” Nach der dritten “Stunde Null”: Deutsche Gegenwartsliteraturen, April 2007, Williamstown, MA. Conference Presentation.
“National Pastimes, Transnational Politics: German and EU Discourses on Anti-Trafficking and Prostitution and the 2006 World Cup.” Popular Culture Association / American Culture Association, 2007. (with Kirsten Isgro and Maria Stehle) Conference Presentation.
“Beyond the Modernity/Islam Divide: Violence, Gender and Activism for Change.” German Studies Association, 2006. Conference Presentation.
“Teaching on Gender and Race in Contemporary Europe.” Roundtable. German Studies Association, 2006. Roundtable Discussant.
“Planetarity, Alterity, and the Death of a Discipline.” Women in German, 2004. Conference Presentation.
“Toward an Ethical Practice of Reading: Teleopoiesis and the Headscarf Debates.” Women in German, 2004. Conference Presentation.
“Germany’s Headscarf Debates: Implications of Feminist Transnational Cultural Studies.” Cultural Studies Association, 2004. Conference Presentation.
“Cloth on the Head, Bedsheets in Hand: Constructing the Muslim Woman in Post-Wende Germany.” Modern Language Association, San Diego, 2003. Conference Presentation.
“Beyond the Headscarf? Problems of a German Transnational Cultural Studies.” German Studies im 21. Jahrhundert. Globale Tagung junger Forscher und Wissenschaftler. DAAD Konferenz der Zentren der Deutschland- und Europastudien. Berlin, 2003. Conference Presentation.
“Embodied Cosmopolitics: Reading Renan Demirkan.” Women in German, 2002. Conference Presentation.
“Imagining the Nation: Nation and Sexuality in Turkish German Literature.” Women’s Studies Lecture Series: Issues in Feminist Research and Methodologies. University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Spring, 2001. Conference Presentation.
“(Dis)Locating Self: Mapping Berlin in Turkish-German Works.” Borderlands: Remapping Zones of Cultural Practice and Representation. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Spring 2001. Conference Presentation.
“Of Woman and Nation: Nationality and Sexuality in Emine Sevgi Özdamar’s Die Brücke vom goldenen Horn,” NEMLA 2001. Conference Presentation.
“In/Out/Trapped: Reading Anne Duden’s Übergang in the Shadow of the Wall,” PAMLA, 2000. Conference Presentation.
“Hybrid Identities: An Argument for the Interrogation of ‘Germanness,’” Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, 2000. Conference Presentation.
“Ich kann auch Schauspielerin sein: Intertextuality and the Creation of Female Subjectivity in Emine Sevgi Özdamar’s Mutterzunge,” NEMLA, 1999. Conference Presentation.
“Towards a Feminist Literary History: Christa Wolf’s Rewriting of Ingeborg Bachmann.” Focus on Literatur, University of Cincinnati, 1997. Conference Presentation.
“Framing Faith and Belief in Contemporary Visual Culture and Performance” (Two panels for the panel series The Muslim Turn). 36th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. September 2012. Co-organized with Faye Stewart.
“Intersectionality – Paradigms, Practices, Problems.” (Two panels) 35th Annual Conference. German Studies Association. Louisville, Kentucky. September 2011. Co-organized with Claudia Breger and Sonja Klocke.
Organized and Chaired Panels and Conference Sessions
“Time, Urgency and Collaboration in the Corporate University.” Roundtable. NWSA, November 2018.
“Feminist Scholar-Activism and the Politics of Affect.” Three session German Studies Association Seminar, 15 participants. Co-organized, Chaired, Moderated with Maria Stehle and Ariana Orozco. German Studies Association 2017.
“Muslim Women in Fiction and Literature.” ACLA, 2009. Co-organized with Ipek Celik.
“Hito Steyerl.” Women in German, 2007. Co-organized with Maria Stehle.
“German Whiteness in a Global Context.” Co-organized with Sara Lennox. Women in German, 2005.
“Colonial Legacies.” New Directions in German Studies. Amherst, Massachusetts, 2004.
“Socialism and Its Others.” Marxism and the World Stage. Amherst, Massachusetts, 2003.
“The Politics of Dislocation.” Borderlands: Remapping Zones of Cultural Practice and Representation. University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Spring 2001.
Graduate and Honors Mentoring; Independent Studies
PhD Thesis Director
Emily Frazier-Rath. In Progress. “Death, Deportation, Violence, Silence: Asylum Seekers, Geduldete [Tolerated], and Refugees’ Activism against Precarity In Germany.”
Robin Cadow. “A Complicated Relationship: Refugees and Holocaust Memories in Contemporary Germany.” 2017.
Petra Landfester. “How Should a Body Move: Turkish German Claims to Recognition in Architecture, Film and Literature.” 2012.
PhD Committee Member
Kelsey Fuller, College of Music, University of Colorado Boulder. In Progress.
Julia Gerhard, Comparative Literature, University of Colorado Boulder. “Post-Utopian Science Fiction in Postmodern American and Russian Literatures.” 2018.
Susana Martinez-Guillem, Communication, University of Colorado Boulder. “The Dialectics of Immigration, Race and Multiculturalism: Constructing Europeanness in the EU and Spain.” 2012.
Kira Thurman, History, University of Rochester. “Discovering The Black Voice: Race, ‘High Art’ Music, and German Culture, 1850-1961.” 2013.
PhD Exam Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder
Kelsey Fuller, College of Music; Julia Gerhard, Comparative Literature; Nicole White, Comparative Literature; Petra Landfester, Comparative Literature
PhD Consortium of Literatures and Cultures, External Mentor, Fall 2017 – present
MA Thesis Director, German Studies, University of Colorado Boulder
Kevin Dibb. “Refugees in an Einwanderungsland: The Integrationspolitik of Turkish-German Representatives in the 18th Bundestag.” 2018.
Michael Colletta. “Fascism and the European New Right.” 2016.
Kathryn Ficke. “Tracing an Absence of Jewish Survivors in DEFA Film, 1959 – 1965.” 2015.
Annalise Stovall. “FEMEN and Muslimah Pride: Locating Muslim Women in a German Landscape.” 2015.
Melissa McCormick. “Postmodernism, Post?Marxism, and Mass Media in Aras Ören’s Berlin Savignyplatz.” 2014.
Dillon Clayton. “Same-Sex Marriage and Germany: The Politics Surrounding Progressive Civil Rights Activism.” 2014.
Derek Taylor. “From Follower to Determiner: Ullrich Krause’s Emancipation within Oppressive Reality.” 2013.
Otha Barrow. “Reasserting Western Dominance: The Subjugating Discourse on Afghani Women.” 2013.
Marni Spott. “Racializing Islam: The Conceptualization of Race, Religion and Culture in Contemporary Germany.” 2012.
Katharina Carstens. “‘Spielt weiter, spielt doch weiter!’ Phantasien als kindliche Auseinandersetzung mit traumatischen Erlebnissen am Beispiel von Ilse Aichingers Die größere Hoffnung.” 2012.
Andrew Maurer. “The Once and Future Site of the US Embassy Berlin. A Discursive Analysis of Planning, Negotiation, and Reception.” 2011.
Damon Roberts. “The Politics of Comedy: The Stand-up Comedy of Serdar Somuncu.” 2010.
Emily Utzerath. “Visibility and Normalization of Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in Germany’s Public Sphere.” 2010.
Christina Herrmann. “The Iranian Dilemma of Displacement and Suspension in German Literature.” 2010.
Petra Watzke. “‘Howgh, ich habe gesprochen!’ German Literary Representations of Native American Ritual and Religion.” 2009.
MA Thesis Director, University of Colorado Boulder, Comparative Literature
Elizabeth Niehaus. “Aural Coding on the Western Frontier: Re-sounding the Indian in American Western Film.” 2016.
MA Thesis Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder, German Studies (Casey McCreary, Jackie Deal, Nicola Lang, Alice Gates, Rebecca Allison, Katharina Maes-Roopansingh, Anna Hunger, Anastasia Griffin)
MA Thesis Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder, Comparative Literature (Samantha Rohrbohn, Erica Carley, Lacey Smith)
MA Thesis Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder, Film Studies (Naomi Weingast)
MA Exam Committee Chair, University of Colorado Boulder, German (Sean Forrester, Kevin Dibb, Annie Stovall, Melissa McCormick, Dillon Clayton, Derek Taylor, Otha Barrow, Katharina Carstens, Stefanie Gibbs, Andrew Maurer, Damon Roberts, Emily Utzerath, Christina Herrmann, Stephanie Rapp, Petra Watzke, Anna Hunger)
MA Exam Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder, German (Eric Simpson, Jordan Hoskins, Marcus Hohe, Kathryn Ficke, Rebecca Henderson, Jackie Deal, Casey McCreary, Maureen Richards, Katharina Maes-Roopansingh, Rebecca Allison, Alice Gates, Anna Hunger, Anastasia Griffin, Erin Hollingsworth)
Undergraduate Honors Thesis Director, University of Colorado Boulder
Caitlyn Zimmer, Women and Gender Studies. “The Portrayal of Queer Subjectivity in German Vampire Film.” 2014.
Lynnette Schweimler, International Affairs. “Human Rights Violations in Policies, Procedures, and Cases of Sexual Orientation Based Asylum Claims in Western Europe.” 2012.
Nathan Roberson, International Affairs. “Remaking French Public Policy: How Rethinking the Hijab Debate Brings Us Closer to Equality.” 2011.
Allison Gibbs, International Affairs. “The Bundeswehr in Afghanistan: A Test of Germany’s Strategic Culture.” 2010.
Undergraduate Honors Thesis Committee Member, University of Colorado Boulder
Katelyn Nagel, Women and Gender Studies; Ellysse Dick, International Affairs; Cassidy Robison, Art and Art History; Matthew Holmes, Humanities; S. Gilbert, Film
Undergraduate Honors Thesis Supervision, University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Kate Humphrey Vander Kloot, Comparative Literature. “Freak Shows.” 2004.
DIRECTED INDEPENDENT STUDY
GRADUATE: Marcus Hohe (Queer German Cinema), Kathryn Ficke (East German Film and Culture), Marni Spott (Theories of Citizenship, Racism and Secularism), Katharina Carstens (Representations of the Holocaust), Maureen Richards (German Women’s Literature), Petra Watzke (German Film after 1989), Hendrik Kammerer (German Drama)
UNDERGRADUATE: Jack Workman (Queer Theory and Refugee Migration in Contemporary Germany), Jason Barnett (East German Literature and Culture), John Dykes (Gender, Masculinity, and GLBT Issues in German Culture after WWI), Will Peteroy (German Culture after 1945)
- Director of Graduate Studies, Jewish Studies, Fall 2017 – present
- Undergraduate Associate Chair/German Program Head, GSLL, Fall 2016 – Summer 2018
Other Campus Service
- Regular Faculty, Jewish Studies, 2015 – present
- Associate Faculty, Gender and Women’s Studies, 2010 – present
- Affiliate Faculty: Ethnic Studies, Film Studies
- Executive Committee, GSLL, Fall 2018 to present; Fall 2016 – Spring 2018 (ex oficio)
- Executive Committee, Jewish Studies, Fall 2017 – present (ex oficio)
- Undergraduate Studies Committee, Jewish Studies, September 2018 – present; May 2015 – August 2017
- Graduate Studies Committee, Jewish Studies, Spring 2017 – present
- Undergraduate Scholarship Committee, German Studies, Spring 2017 – present
- Graduate Scholarship/Grant Committee, German Studies, Fall 2018 – present; Fall 2014 – Spring 2015; Spring 2016; Fall 2017
- Faculty Undergraduate Advisor, GSLL, Fall 2018 – present
- Tenure-track faculty mentor, GSLL, Fall 2018 – present
- Tenure-track faculty mentor, Jewish Studies, Fall 2018 – present
- Departmental representative to Honors Council, Fall 2018 – present; 2012-2013
- Peer Evaluation Committee, GSLL, Chair Fall 2018 – present; member 2014 – present
- Academic Affairs Advisory committee (AAAC) committee member, Fall 2018 – Spring 2021
- Canvas (LMS) pilot of Cidi Labs, Fall 2018 – Spring 2019
- PUEC Committee Chair, Teaching Professor Promotion, 2018
- TRIO Student Support Services, Summer Ready Professor Meet and Greet, June 2018
- Search Committee Chair, Visiting Assistant Professor of German Studies, Spring 2018
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Application Reviewer, March 2018 (7 undergraduate and 7 faculty applications)
- Women and Gender Studies Works in Progress participant, 2017-2018; 2014-2015.
- Miramontes Arts and Sciences Program Presentation, Spring 2018; Spring 2016
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program Grant Reviews, Spring 2018. Reviewed 7 undergraduate and 3 faculty grants.
- Audre Lorde and the Afro-German Movement. African Americans in Germany: European and African American Intellectual Exchanges in the 20th Century. Remembering Lucile Berkeley Buchanan. March 2018.
- Graduate student workshop: Time Management Tips and Tools, March 2018
- Co-organization of “Afro-Puff Lederhosen”, a Performance/Workshop with Vanessa Roberts. Remembering Lucile Berkeley Buchanan, February 2018.
- Search Committee Member, Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies/Political Science, 2017-2018
- Internal Reviewer for Limited Campus Competitions, Research and Innovation Office, University of Colorado Boulder, 2017
- Search Committee Member, Lecturer in Jewish Studies, Spring/Summer 2017
- Merit Evaluation and Salary Committee Chair, Jewish Studies, 2015 – 2018
- PUEC Chair, Jewish Studies, Instructor reappointment, 2016
- PUEC member, Jewish Studies, Tenure track faculty reappointment, 2016
- PUEC member, GSLL, Tenure track faculty reappointment, 2016
- PUEC Chair, GSLL, instructor reappointment, 2016
- Program social media curation, 2013 – present
- College of Arts and Sciences Representative to Campus Ethics Committee: 2014 – 2017
- Comparative Literature Graduate Program Faculty, 2009 – 2016
- Departmental representative to Arts and Sciences Council (ASC) (spring 2016; fall semesters, 2013-2014)
- ASC Planning Committee, Spring 2016
- Kayden Book Prize Committee, 2016
- Co-organizer, Peggy Piesche Visit, 2016
- Co-organizer, German Career Day, 2016, 2015
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day Film Screening Talkback, Program in Jewish Studies, University of Colorado Boulder, February 2016. Intro, response, and panel moderation.
- German Studies Graduate Mentor Workshop. Using Zotero. February, 2015.
- Native American student commencement assistance: 2012-2015
- Faculty Student Mentor Program, Fall 2014
- German Studies Graduate Mentor Workshop. Classroom Discussion. November, 2014.
- Workshop: “Writing Abstracts and Conference Papers.” Comparative Literature. November, 2014.
- Assistant Professor Search Committee, GSLL, Fall 2014
- Program social media development, 2013
- German Program Liaison to School of Education: Approve applications for entrance to K-12 teacher licensure program, answer questions about licensure requirements, 2009
- GSLL Colloquium organization, 2009 to 2012
- Workshop on turning graduate papers into journal articles, Comparative Literature, April 2013
- Departmental representative to Arts and Sciences Council (replacement; Fall 2012)
- Guest faculty, Comparative Literature “Meet the Faculty” Hour, 2012
- Workshop on writing conference abstracts and conference presentations, Comparative Literature, March 2010; October 2011
- Focus group for selection of new Learning Management System at CU, 2010
- Comparative Literature Roundtable: Integrating Comparative Literature into Your Classroom and Career, October 2010
- Revision of requirements for completion of secondary teaching licensure, 2009
- Reappointment Committee for a Senior Instructor, Fall 2009
- Search Committee, advanced tenured faculty, CU Boulder, 2008-2009
- Coordinator for visit of Angela Krauß, CU Boulder, Fall 2008
- Committee for Proposal of German PhD, CU Boulder, 2007-2008
- German Film Series, CU Boulder, Fall 2007, Fall 2008
- 2016 – 2019. Steering Committee, Women in German.
- 2018 Peer reviewed articles for Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Feminist German Studies, Seminar
- 2018 Review of research, teaching and service for promotion and tenure, R1 institution
- 2017 Conversations in the Mountains: Just Futures. Symposium and workshop organization involving 13 presenters from 7 institutions and three countries. University of Colorado Boulder.
- Advisory Board, Genders, 2016 – present
- 2016 2 Reviews of research for promotion and tenure, R1 institutions
- 2016 Review of research for mid-career review, BA college with A & S focus
- 2011 – 2017 Peer reviewed articles for: Anthropological Quarterly, Seminar, Women’s Studies Quarterly, European Journal of Women’s Studies; Theory, Culture and Society; German Studies Review; German Quarterly, Women in German Yearbook
- 2016 Book manuscript review
- 2014 Book manuscript review
- Panel Moderation, German Studies Association Annual Conference 2013, (Re)Opening the Nation: Pathways toward Civic Engagement
- 2011 Article editor: Sage Open, 2011 (oversight of review process by choosing reviewers and making final decision on article publication)
- 2005 – 2009 Web editor, technology consultant to steering committee, for the organization Women in German
- “Refugees: Sanctuary, Hospitality and Solidarity,” Carbondale Branch Library, Carbondale, Colorado, Lecture, October 2018.
- “Elfriede Jelinek.” Lecture and Reading, Nobel Prize Series, Boulder Bookstore, Boulder, Colorado, April 2018.
- Organizing Team Member, “Sanctuary: A Community Meeting,” Boulder, Colorado, April 2017.
- “Herta Müller.” Lecture and Reading, Nobel Prize Series, Boulder Bookstore, Boulder, Colorado, April 2017.
- Intercambio de Comunidades, ESL Volunteer Teacher, 2010 – 2012
- Presentation: “Islam in Germany Today,” Golden West Retirement Center, 2012
- New Vistas High School, Boulder Colorado, “Youth Struggles” class (taught by Vanessa Dimiziani-Cascio), introduced and screened the film Urban Guerillas; led class discussion in following class, Spring 2009
Honors and Additional
SELECTED ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Remapping Black Germany. Conference Assistant Coordinator. University of Massachusetts Amherst, April 2006.
- NEH Summer Institute: German and European Studies in the United States: Changing Worlds, Shifting Narratives. Assistant Coordinator, Program in Germanic Languages and Literatures, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Summer 2005.
- Mentor, Department of Comparative Literature, Fall 2001.
- Translator, Buddenbrooks Haus/Thomas und Heinrich Mann Zentrum, Lübeck, Germany, 2000. German-to-English translations of exhibit texts.
- Technology Consultant, Department of Comparative Literature, Fall 2000.
- Web Consultant, ACLANet Web Page, Spring 2000.
LANGUAGES, SKILLS AND PROFICIENCIES
- English (native speaker)
- German (near native)
- Spanish (advanced reading knowledge)
- French (advanced reading knowledge)
- Turkish (beginner knowledge)
- Web development knowledge (WordPress; Drupal; basic HTML, CSS)
SELECTED HONORS, AWARDS AND GRANTS
- University of Colorado Boulder nominee to Mellon New Directions grant, 2016
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Curt C. and Else Silberman Seminar Participation Grant, “Jewish Responses to the Holocaust: Teaching through Primary Sources,” 2016
- Nominee for Outstanding Graduate Student Faculty Mentor, University of Colorado Boulder, 2015, 2012, 2010
- Online Course Development Grant, Summer Session, University of Colorado Boulder, 2014
- Kayden Research Fellowship, University of Colorado Boulder, 2008
- Glennie M. Jones Memorial Award for Outstanding Graduate Feminist Scholarship, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2006
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Graduate Research Fellowship, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany, 2002 – 2003
- University Graduate Fellowship, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2001 – 2002
- D. Comprehensive Exams, Completed with Distinction, March 2001
- Graduate Research Travel Grant, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2000
- Penn State Teaching Award Nominee, 1998
- Sparks Fellow, The Pennsylvania State University, 1996-1997
- Fulbright/Pädagogischer Austauschdienst Grant, 1995-1996
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Iota (International Language Honor Society)
- Delta Phi Alpha (German Honor Society)
- A., Magna Cum Laude, Gustavus Adolphus College